How can we help your business?
A global, complex and, at times, contentious industry, shipping is subject to multifarious national and supranational regulations.
Falling foul of these regulations can result in significant financial and reputational damage.
It’s for this reason that ship owners, operators, charterers, ports, insurers and others regularly call upon Shearwater Law to provide expert advice in relation to maritime regulations.
The types of regulatory issues that Shearwater Law is called to advise upon, includes:
- Safety regulations and conventions - International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), the International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code, the International Convention for Safe Containers (CSC) etc.
- Environmental conventions and regulations - International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL), International Convention on Oil Pollution Preparedness, Response and Co-operation (OPRC) etc.
- Quotas – total allowable catches / fishing quotas.
- Conventions and regulations regarding liability - Convention on Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims (LLMC), Nairobi International Convention on the Removal of Wrecks, Athens Convention relating to the Carriage of Passengers and their Luggage by Sea (PAL) etc.
- Employment-based conventions and regulations - Maritime Labour Convention (MLC), Seafarer Employment Agreements (SEA), STCW Convention etc.
In addition to the above international conventions and regulations, Shearwater Law is able to advise on regulations relating to individual nation states and regions.
In short, Shearwater Law’s regulatory team can support you in both a proactive and reactive fashion in relation to regulatory issues - no matter how, or where, they have arisen.
Our approach to regulatory cases
We understand that breaches of regulations and conventions can have serious consequences. We also understand that regulations and conventions are always changing.
That is why here at Shearwater Law, our regulatory team acts as a single point of truth for our clients. We offer the most up-to-date, comprehensive and commercially-astute advice that will allow your business to remain compliant and avoid the consequences.
Should the worst happen and you find your company in breach of a regulation or convention, Shearwater Law is available to help you mount the best possible defence.
Shearwater Law: regulatory legal support
If there is one thing that cannot wait until tomorrow, it is the need to remain compliant with the appropriate regulations (or seek assistance in the event of a breach of regulation).